12 Lemons-Taking Responsibility

In my experience over the past couples years I have realized that people have started to take less and less responsibility for their actions. Whether a big deal or not, people just don’t really seem to find taking responsibility as important as they should. Sometimes yes, you might make a mistake but the mature and right thing to do is to take responsibility and apologize. Being the bigger person is crucial to a better world all around. All of us have found ourselves at a crossroad debating whether to accept responsibility or to lie about something because we find it easier than being honest.

My parents have always told me that honestly is truly the best way to go, and I know that they would rather me tell them the truth than lie about it and have them find out later from someone else. I remember this summer right before school started my mom bought a bunch of snacks for lunches. She hid them in a bin in our basement because she knew that they would be gone by the time school started between our friends always coming over and my family. One day I walked down to the basement to do laundry and I had seen a bin of snacks opened and when I went upstairs my brother and his friends were eating them. When my mom got mad she was very upset and my brother acted like he had no idea what she was talking about.

My mom knew that it wasn’t me, but she was waiting for my brother to come forward and tell her the truth. When he didn’t she got even more upset because he was lying right to her face and not taking responsibility for his actions. Ever since then my brother and I have always made sure to take responsibility for everything we do, even when we know that it may cause someone to be upset. I find myself almost always taking responsibility mainly because I had seen how upset my mom had gotten when my brother didn’t. So when it comes to being honest and telling the truth just remember that taking responsibility for your actions is extremely important to make the world an all around better place.

-nicole p.