The Power of Words (10/11/19)

I have always said that words are truly the most powerful tool the human race has been given.  Words can inspire, they can make you laugh or cry, words can make you think, they can lift you up and break you down, and words, quite simply, can bring the world together in their infinite simplicity.  Consider these wise words:

“If someone were to pay you 10 cents for every kind word you ever spoke and collect from you 5 cents for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?”

–Anonymous

“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

–William Penn (1644-1718)
Philanthropist and founder of Colony of Pennsylvania

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are endless.”

–Mother Theresa(1910-1997)
Nun, Missionaries of Charity,
Nobel Peace Prize 1979

Why is it so easy for some to speak words of kindness while others, young and old alike, speak words of hate and ridicule?  What has shifted in the world we live in that makes people believe they can say whatever they wish or act however they choose, even if it’s disrespectful or harmful?  How can we set ourselves on the right path so that we begin to understand that all people have feelings, and that kindness is the road to happiness for all of us?

Mrs. Donofrio