12 Lemons-Responsibility is Complicated

In my life, I have got in trouble with teachers, my parents, or another adult in my life. When I first get yelled at, I do act shocked to try to cause doubt in the person’s head that I did not do anything wrong. In reality, the people who are accusing me know I did what they are yelling at me for. All the time, I like to deflect the situation and place the blame on someone else, because it is easier that way. But, I have learned that taking responsibility for my actions and my wrongdoings will benefit me in my life and change my thought of doing something wrong.

Life has many lessons, they may be rough lessons to learn or great experiences to be taught to you. Holding responsibility in my life has always been a hard one to do. When I get in trouble, the first thing I think about is; “Who can I blame this on?” Going on with my life, I have learned I should not do that anymore and be responsible for my wrongdoings. Even though the consequence might be harsh, I will always know I admitted to my wrongdoing and not try to hide behind it and blame it on someone else.

One of the hardest things to do is to be the person who will stand up and confess to something you did. A couple of years ago, during one of my classes, something from the classroom was taken. Obviously, I did not take it, but my teacher told the students and me in her class that whoever took it should confess to it for a lesser consequence. If I had to put myself in that situation for the person who stole the object from the classroom, I would be extremely nervous and scared to confess. When I think about this, I know I can always tell people about my wrongdoings and it tells that person I do have the responsibility to take control of my actions.

Luke E.